Corn tortillas are a tiny bit more tricky to make than flour tortillas, but the taste is definitely worth that little bit extra effort. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 70 3%
Calories from Fat 7
Total Fat 0.8g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.1g 0%
Unsaturated Fat 0.5g
Total Carbohydrate 15.0g 5%
Dietary Fibre 1.4g 5%
Protein 1.4g 2%
Cholesterol 0.0mgs 0%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 1 cup masa harina (or masa if you can get it!)
- ½-¾ cup water
- Greaseproof or baking paper
- Mix together the masa harina and the water. Add just enough water to make a firm dough that sticks together.
- Cover and leave for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces. Roll a piece into a ball and press between your hands to make a disc.
- Place the disc between 2 pieces of greaseproof or baking paper, press the disc with a dinner plate, then roll into a 15cm (6″) thin disc.
- Remove the top layer of paper and place the tortilla on a medium hot pan with the paper side up.
- After about 10 seconds you should be able to peel off the remaining piece of paper. Continue to cook the tortilla for about a minute until it starts to brown.
- Turn the tortilla over, cook for about another 30-60 seconds.
Don’t be tempted to try and roll out the dough without the greaseproof paper. The masa dough doesn’t behave like flour-water dough. Better still, buy a tortilla press!