Tiramisu normally contains alcohol in the form of Marsala. This recipe does not use alcohol but is every bit as tasty as it’s boozy counterpart.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 285 14%
Calories from Fat 184
Total Fat 20.5g 31%
Saturated Fat 10.9g 54%
Unsaturated Fat 7.2g
Total Carbohydrate 20.5g 6%
Dietary Fibre 0.1g 0%
Protein 5.6g 11%
Cholesterol 205.4mgs 68%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 32 sponge fingers (often called “Boudoir” biscuits)
- 6 egg yolks
- 350 g (12 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) whipping cream
- 3 tsp of instant coffee dissolved in ½ cup hot water
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Almond flakes
- Cocoa powder
- Icing sugar
- Place a layer of sponge fingers in the bottom of a rectangular or square dish. Shape is everything.
- Sprinkle on half of the coffee and put to one side.
- Mix together the lemon juice and mascarpone cheese.
- Place a bowl above a pan of boiling water. Mix together the eggs, caster sugar, lemon rind and vanilla essence in the bowl. Cook with frequent stirring for around 25-30 minutes until the mixture becomes creamy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- When the egg mixture is cool enough to handle mix it into the cheese.
- Pour half of the cheese mixture onto the sponge fingers. Spread the mixture out.
- Place the remaining sponge fingers in a layer, sprinkle on the remaining coffee, then pour on the remaining cheese mixture. Chill in the ‘fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Whip together the cream and milk. Spead the cream over the tiramisu base.
- Sprinkle on some almond flakes, a good layer of cocoa powder, and some icing sugar. Chill well before serving.
If you put this dessert in the freezer for an hour or two it makes it firm enough to be able to serve easily. Then leave the pieces at room temperature for 30 minutes.