Thai Hot & Sour Soup
This soup features the delightful lemongrass and lime flavours of Thai cooking. It is both hot-spicy and slightly sour. This is one of my favourite soups!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 98 4%
Calories from Fat 24
Total Fat 2.7g 4%
Saturated Fat 0.6g 3%
Unsaturated Fat 1.1g
Total Carbohydrate 6.9g 2%
Dietary Fibre 1.7g 6%
Protein 13.1g 26%
Cholesterol 65.5mgs 21%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 1 litre (35 fl oz) of fish or chicken stock
- 200 g (7 oz) peeled raw prawns (see Tips below)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp lemongrass paste (or 1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion (scallion) thinly sliced
- Chopped coriander
- Put the stock, lime rind, green chilli, kaffir lime leaves and the lemongrass into a pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup through a colander into a clean pan. Add the fish sauce and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil once more.
- Add in the prawns and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Serve with the garnish of red chillis, spring onions and chopped coriander.
If you start with unpeeled raw prawns you can add the heads and shells into the soup at the beginning to give extra flavour.