Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 148 7%
Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5.0g 7%
Saturated Fat 3.1g 15%
Unsaturated Fat 1.6g
Total Carbohydrate 23.1g 7%
Dietary Fibre 0.6g 2%
Protein 2.7g 5%
Cholesterol 12.9mgs 4%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 225 g (8 oz) flour
- 100 ml (3 fl oz) milk
- 55 g (2 oz) butter or margarine
- 50 g (2 oz) caster or fine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the salt, baking powder and sugar and mix well.
- Rub in the butter or margarine to produce a very light mixture, almost like dry sand.
- Make a well in the centre of the mix, pour in the milk and stir briskly with a spoon. The dough should be light and sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly for 1 minute.
- Pat the dough out to 1 cm (½”) thickness and use a 5 cm (2″) cookie cutter to make rounds.
- Place the rounds on a well-greased baking tray. Brush with milk, then bake in the oven at 200°C for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack before eating.
Light and brisk treatment of the dough is essential to produce a scone which which is light on the inside. It should take no more than 10 minutes to prepare the rounds!
Slice in half and serve with strawberry jam and thick cream.
To make variants of this recipe, replace the sugar with:
– Raisins, to make fruit scones
– Grated cheese, to make cheese scones