This naan is stuffed with sultanas and nuts and can be as sweet as you want to make it. Perfect for vegetarians!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 524 26%
Calories from Fat 187
Total Fat 20.8g 32%
Saturated Fat 7.2g 36%
Unsaturated Fat 13.8g
Total Carbohydrate 74.6g 24%
Dietary Fibre 4.4g 17%
Protein 11.6g 23%
Cholesterol 17.2mgs 5%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For the stuffing
- Add the yeast and sugar to the water and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking soda into a bowl. Add in the yeast mixture, the ghee, and the yoghurt. Mix to a smooth, soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover and stand in a warm place for about 2 hours until the dough roughly doubles in size.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl and place on a floured surface. Punch the dough down and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Split the dough into two pieces. Roll the pieces into balls. Place a ball on a floured surface and roll out to about 15-20 cm (6″).
- Place half the stuffing mixture in the middle of the dough. Fold the dough over and press the edges together. Work into a ball and place back on the floured surface with the creases on the underside. Roll out to about 15 cm (6″) and place on a tray. Brush with melted ghee or butter. Repeat with the remaining dough piece.
- Cover the naans and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Turn your grill onto maximum and place a baking tray underneath.
- Place the naan on a hot tawa or flat pan for about 35-40 seconds until it starts to bubble slightly.
- Transfer the naan to the hot baking tray and cook under the hot grill for about 1-2 minutes until the naan starts to turn brown.
- Brush the naan lightly with melted ghee before serving.
The tava (pan) and the grill pan should be very hot to ensure the naan is cooked properly.