Fish & Mushroom Pie
A warm, comforting and creamy dish which is just perfect for cold weather days.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 720 36%
Calories from Fat 222
Total Fat 24.7g 38%
Saturated Fat 10.9g 54%
Unsaturated Fat 11.1g
Total Carbohydrate 61.7g 20%
Dietary Fibre 6.7g 26%
Protein 41.6g 83%
Cholesterol 132.8mgs 44%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For the filling
For the sauce
For the topping
- Put the fish and mushrooms in a pan and season well with salt and pepper. Pour on the milk, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Strain the fish and mushrooms; keep the cooking liquid.
- Prepare the topping: Boil the potatoes until they are tender then drain. Add in the butter, milk and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, then mash until smooth.
- Prepare the sauce: Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add in the flour and mix well.
- Gradually add the reserved fish liquid to the pan with stirring.
- Bring the sauce back to the boil. Once it boils, turn off the heat and stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- Put the fish and mushroom mixture into a casserole dish. Pour on the sauce and top off with the mashed potato. Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes.
Any meaty fish will do for this pie. I like to use a mixture of salmon and haddock, but use whatever you prefer.
Serve with some steamed vegetables for a hearty meal.