A good Chicken Vindaloo is about more than lots of chilli powder. It’s a subtle blend of spices leading to complex flavours, mouth-feel and after-taste. Vindaloo should be edible, but leave you knowing you’ve had something a bit spicy… Trust me, this IS the BEST Chicken Vindaloo recipe in the world… EVER!!!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 290 14%
Calories from Fat 72
Total Fat 8.0g 12%
Saturated Fat 1.3g 6%
Unsaturated Fat 5.7g
Total Carbohydrate 29.6g 9%
Dietary Fibre 4.8g 19%
Protein 25.3g 50%
Cholesterol 64.0mgs 21%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 600 g (20 oz) chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 toilet roll in the freezer for the morning after
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp of the seeds from green cardamoms
- 4 green chillis, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp clove powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ~4 tbsp white vinegar
- Grind the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves to a fine powder. Combine with the remaining vindaloo paste ingredients and grind. Add sufficient white vinegar to make a thick paste… of FIRE!!!!
- Mix the Paste of Fire with the chicken and leave to marinate overnight.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the onions for 5-10 miinutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Add the chicken and its marinade into the pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes to seal the meat. Beware of radiation burns.
- Add in the tomatoes, the cooked onions and 150 ml (5 fl oz) water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Add the potatoes to the cooked vindaloo and serve. Aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!
Unfortunately many restaurants will create a “vindaloo” by taking a basic masala gravy and adding in lots of chilli powder. A lot of the spiciness in this dish comes from the cloves as well as the chillis. As long as you plan ahead, this dish is very easy to make.