Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 571 28%
Calories from Fat 306
Total Fat 34.1g 52%
Saturated Fat 13.6g 68%
Unsaturated Fat 17.4g
Total Carbohydrate 28.7g 9%
Dietary Fibre 6.1g 24%
Protein 35.7g 71%
Cholesterol 112.9mgs 37%Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Bring the beans to the boil in plenty of water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the beans, then return them to a clean pan with enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes until tender. When cooked, remove from the heat and leave the beans in the pan with the water.
- Prick the sausages and fry them gently for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the fat and put to one side. Pour off the fat, leaving one tbsp behind.
- Stir-fry the meat for about 5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Stir-fry the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Put the contents of the pan in a bowl and mix with the meat.
- Build the cassoulet in layers: Start with a layer of beans, then half the sausages, then half the meat/vegetable mixture. Add another layer of beans, then the remaining sausages and meat mixture. Add in the bouquet garni and finish with a layer of beans.
- Pour in the stock and the liquid the beans were cooked in. Cover and bake at 180°C for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid, sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and return to the oven uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve.
I use a mixture of veal and lamb to reduce the cooking time and give a great taste. If you use beef in this dish increase the cooking time to at least 2 hours.
Serve with bread.