This vegetable torte is like a quiche without the pastry. Or maybe it’s a cheesecake without the base. It’s definitely delicious!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 306 15%
Calories from Fat 236
Total Fat 26.3g 40%
Saturated Fat 11.9g 59%
Unsaturated Fat 12.2g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 5.7g 1%
Dietary Fibre 1.0g 4%
Protein 12.7g 25%
Cholesterol 138.9mgs 46%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 250 g (8 oz) ricotta cheese
- 250 g (8 oz) mascarpone or cream cheese
- 150 g (5 oz) asparagus
- 100 g (3-4 oz) spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 75 g (3 oz) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare the vegetables: Cut the courgette in half lengthways then slice finely. Cut the tips from the asparagus and cut to the stems into 1″ (2 cm) lengths..
- Blanch the vegetables that need it: Place the asparagus stems into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the asparagus tips and cook for a further 1 minute. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the courgette to the pan and continue to cook until the courgette is soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute with stirring.
- Add the spinach and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted. Turn off the heat and add the asparagus and basil. Season, then mix well and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs lightly in a bowl. Add in the ricotta and mascarpone cheeses together with ⅔ of the parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add the cooled vegetables into the mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 8″ (20cm) springform cake tin, sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Remove from the tin, transfer to a plate and chill in the ‘fridge for about 2 hours before serving.
You can use almost any vegetable in this dish. For vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and beans it is best to blanch them for 2-3 minutes in boiling water before adding to the torte mix. Peas can be added directly into the mixture. You can also add roasted vegetables such as peppers and aubergines.
Vary the herbs to your own personal taste!