Spicy Aubergine Bake Thingy
I bought two really funky stripy aubergines, but then wasn’t sure what to do with them. So I looked around my kitchen and invented this dish which I call, “Titli’s Spicy Aubergine Bake Thingy”. Never let it be said that I am not creative!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 429 21%
Calories from Fat 176
Total Fat 19.6g 30%
Saturated Fat 9.7g 48%
Unsaturated Fat 8.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 46.7g 15%
Dietary Fibre 14.8g 59%
Protein 21.5g 43%
Cholesterol 43.8mgs 14%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 aubergines, cut into cubes
- 400 g (14 oz) cooked lentils
- 400 g (14 oz) potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of tomatoes
- 250 g (8 oz) grated cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- Small tin of sweetcorn
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pregeat the oven to 200°C.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain.
- Add the oil to a large pan and fry the onions and garlic until the onions start to darken.
- Add in the aubergine and fry for 6-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes, lentils, sweetcorn and spices into the pan. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a large casserole or lasagna dish. Places a layer of the potato slices on top. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and season with pepper.
- Bake in an oven at 200 °C for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
I find that I don’t need treat the aubergines with salt before I add them to the pan. The lentils provide a degree of sourness to the dish which overwhelms any sourness from the aubergine.