Rhubarb & Custard Tart
This tart is very easy to make and gives another option for using up rhubarb!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 268 13%
Calories from Fat 83
Total Fat 9.3g 14%
Saturated Fat 3.5g 17%
Unsaturated Fat 4.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 44.2g 14%
Dietary Fibre 1.2g 4%
Protein 2.9g 5%
Cholesterol 41.2mgs 13%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 250 g (8 oz) rhubarb cut into chunks
- 250 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastry
- 200 g (7 oz) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tsp milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Line an 8″ (20 cm) pie dish with the pastry and spread the rhubarb over the base.
- Beat together the eggs and the milk. Add the sugar, flour and nutmeg and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the rhubarb. Cover the edges of the tart with aluminium foil to prevent them from burning. Bake at 180°C for 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool then dust with icing sugar before serving.
There is no need to blind-bake the pastry in this recipe because the cooking time is so long. Your bottom shouldn’t end up soggy!