There’s moussaka and there’s moussaka. It takes a while to prepare this dish but trust me when I tell you that it’s worth it!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 704 35%
Calories from Fat 433
Total Fat 48.2g 74%
Saturated Fat 20.8g 104%
Unsaturated Fat 24.2g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 37.4g 12%
Dietary Fibre 12.2g 48%
Protein 33.5g 67%
Cholesterol 227.4mgs 75%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 600 g (1½ lb) minced lamb or beef
- 2 large aubergines cut into 5mm (¼”) slioces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp honey
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened grape juice (or wine if you use wine in your cooking)
- 125 ml (½ cup) lamb or chicken stock
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil for the sauce
- More olive oil for the aubergines
For the topping
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) milk
- 40 g (2 oz) butter
- 40 g (2 oz) flour
- 100 g (3½ oz) hard sheep or goat cheese (e.g. Kefalotiri) + some for sprinkling on the moussaka
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt the aubergines: Place a colander over a bowl and add a layer of aubergines. Sprinkle with salt. Keep adding layers of aubergine and salt, then leave to stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pat the aubergine slices dry with some kitchen towel.
- Pour about 2 tbsp of olive oil into a baking tray and brush it evenly around. Place a layer of aubergines on the tray, brush with olive oil and bake at 190°C for 7 minutes.
- Remove the slices from the baking tray and repeat the process until all the aubergine slices have been baked.
- Prepare the sauce: Heat the olive oil over a low heat in a pan. Add the onions and stew them for about 15 minutes until they become soft.
- Add in the meat, the cinnamon and allspice, season with salt and pepper, then brown the meat on a high heat (about 5 minutes).
- Add the grape juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the honey and tomatoes and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, stock and herbs. Mix well and simmer for 30 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Add in the egg whites, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Prepare the topping: Heat the milk, butter and flour in a pan. Whisk it while it comes to the boil.
- When it reaches the boil, turn the heat down and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add in the nutmeg and the cheese, mix well and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks.
- Prepare the moussaka: Place a layer of aubergine at the bottom of a well-greased dish. Add on half the meat mixture and spread evenly. Add another layer of aubergines, the remaining meat mixture, and top with a layer of aubergines.
- Pour on the topping, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- After all that, you deserve some moussaka!
Serve with bread and a nice green salad.