- 3 mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 350 g (12 oz) sugar
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) white vinegar
- 4 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Put the vinegar into a pan together with the sugar, seeds, peppercorns, and cloves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in the mango and the garlic & ginger paste. Stir and simmer on a low heat for about an hour or until the mango becomes soft.
- Leave to cool slightly, then pour into hot, clean, sterile jars.
To make a spicy version of this chutney use 12 cloves, 12 peppercorns, 2 tsp of cumin seeds and crumble in 4 dried red chillies.
This chutney can be eaten with just about anything you like. Eat it with a curry to give a sweet contrast, or eat it with cheese on toast!