Madeira cake is a light lemon sponge cake with a slightly crisp outside. It’s the perfect accompaniment for a nice cup of tea!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 254 12%
Calories from Fat 118
Total Fat 13.2g 20%
Saturated Fat 7.9g 39%
Unsaturated Fat 4.2g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 30.8g 10%
Dietary Fibre 0.6g 2%
Protein 3.7g 7%
Cholesterol 72.5mgs 24%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 250 g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 175 g (6 oz) caster/superfine sugar
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Milk or water
- Cream together the sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Add one egg and a tbsp of the flour. Beat well. Now beat in the remaining eggs one at a time, adding a tbsp of flour with each egg.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon rind and a tbsp of flour. Beat well. If the mixture looks like it may curdle simply add a tbsp or two extra of flour.
- Seive in the remaining flour and fold the ingredients together with a spoon.
- Adjust the consistency of the mixture by adding milk one tbsp at a time. The mixture should drop fairly easily from your spoon.
- Grease and line an 8″ (20 cm) cake tin (or a loaf tin) with baking paper. Pour in the mixture and bake at 160°C for about an hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
To reduce the amount of “doming” of your cake you can push the cake mixture to the outside of the cake tin before you place it in the oven.