Hot & Spicy Low-Fat Curry
- 300 g (10 oz) cubed chicken, lamb or vegetables
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small capsicum pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp garlic & ginger paste
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp kalonji
- Chopped green chillis according to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the kalonji and fenugreek seeds for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and garlic & ginger paste and stir-fry until the onions are golden.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon juice and spices and continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken with its marinade together with the sugar. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Add the chicken and cook for a further 7-8 minutes.
- Add the capsicum, chillis, chopped coriander and 60 ml (4 tbsp) of water. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir well and serve.
The hotness of this dish depends on the type and number of chillis you put into the sauce. You have been warned!
If you are using lamb for this dish it is best to brown the lamb in a tsp of oil before adding it to the pan.