Lebanese Chickpea Salad
A delicious salad suitable as an appetiser or as an accompaniment to kebabs.
Servings: 4 as a side salad
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 310 15%
Calories from Fat 217
Total Fat 24.2g 37%
Saturated Fat 3.7g 18%
Unsaturated Fat 19.3g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 17.8g 5%
Dietary Fibre 5.1g 20%
Protein 7.5g 15%
Cholesterol 81.8mgs 27%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of chickpeas
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Boil the eggs in water for 10 minutes. Drain and cool in a bowl of cold water. Peel and chop roughly.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic gently for about 10 minutes until the onions start to take on colour.
- Add the capsicum, thyme and cumin seeds. Cook for a further 2 minutes before scraping the entire contents of the pan into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the lemon juice and the drained chickpeas. Add the chopped egg and mix gently.
- Season, pour into a serving bowl and garnish with sprigs of parsley.
Don’t be in a hurry to cook the onions. They should be soft, sweet and just very slightly brown.