Sag Gosht (Lamb and Spinach Curry)
Lamb and spinach go together well and Sag Gosht is a gentle and fragrant dish… if you leave the chillis out!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 406 20%
Calories from Fat 284
Total Fat 31.6g 48%
Saturated Fat 11.7g 58%
Unsaturated Fat 18.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 9.4g 3%
Dietary Fibre 2.7g 10%
Protein 21.5g 43%
Cholesterol 81.0mgs 27%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 450 g (1 lb) lamb, cubed
- 200 g (7 oz) spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 green chillis, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions until they start to brown.
- Add in the lamb and stir-fry for 2 minutes to brown the meat
- Add in the spices and the garlic & ginger paste. Stir to coat the meat and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 500 ml (16 fl oz) of water. Bring to the boil, partly cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the pan lid, increase the heat and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Once the gravy is thick, add in the spinach and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the chillis and capsicum. Cook with stirring for 3-4 minutes. Serve.
I prefer this curry when the gravy is rich and thick. The sweetness of the capsicum also complements the sourness of the spinach.