Depending on where you live, Ghee can be expensive or impossible to buy. Don’t Panic! It is really easy to make with a little bit of patience.
Servings: per tbsp
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 112 5%
Calories from Fat 114
Total Fat 12.7g 19%
Saturated Fat 8.0g 40%
Unsaturated Fat 4.2g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 0.0g 0%
Dietary Fibre 0.0g 0%
Protein 0.1g 0%
Cholesterol 30.5mgs 10%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 500 g (1 lb) unsalted butter
- Some muslin, cheesecloth or paper coffee filters… and a funnel.
- Cut the butter into pieces and melt gently in a pan.
- Once the butter has melted, allow it to simmer gently for 30-45 minutes. DO NOT STIR!
- Skim the scum off the surface from time to time.
- Some solids should be visible on the bottom of the pan after about 30-45 minutes. When the smell becomes nutty or toffee-like, turn off the heat and allow the pan to cool slightly.
- Filter using your chosen medium into a clean, dry airtight jar.
The final liquid should be amber and golden and smell a bit like toffee. Ghee will keep for months without refreigeration and even longer if solidified in the fridge.