- 400 g (14 oz) caster sugar
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) whole milk
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) condensed milk
- 100 g (3½ oz) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Add all the ingredients into a pan and heat over a low-medium heat with continual stirring.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat. Cook the mixture on a rolling boil for about 15 minutes.
- Check the temperature with a sugar thermometer. What do you mean? You haven’t got a sugar thermometer?? Get one! When the temperature reaches 115°C turn off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Grease and line a 7-8″ (18-20 cm) cake tin with baking paper. Grease the baking paper. Take a baking tray and pour in about ½” (1 cm) of cold water.
- Place the pan of fudge in the baking tray of water. Stir continuously with a flat-ended spatula until the fudge has lost its glossy shine.
- Pour the fudge into the cake tin and smooth out. Chill in the ‘fridge overnight before cutting into squares.
If your fudge wont set overnight put it into a saucepan and gently reheat it. Boil for a bit longer until you achieve success with the softball test.
To make chocolate fudge add 60g (2 oz) of cocoa powder to your list of ingredients at the beginning.