Empanadas (Banana and Chocolate)
- 250 g (8 oz) puff pastry
- 150 g (5 oz) chocolate chips
- 2 large bananas
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Icing sugar
- Cinnamon powder
- Peel and dice the bananas. Place in a bowl with the lemon juice and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Roll out the puff pastry enough to be able to cut out 12 circles about 12 cm (5″) in diameter. The pastry will be quite thin.
- Place a spoonful of filling in the centre of each circle and fold the circles over to make demi-lunes. Crimp the edges with a fork and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Dust with icing sugar and a pinch of cinnamon before serving.
Puff pastry doesn’t re-roll very well, but you can also use shortcrust pastry in this recipe which means that you can cut circles AND re-roll the pastry to make more circles. Any type of chocolate will do – dark, milk or white – and you can also use nutella. Serve warm with cream, ice cream or naked.