Courgette (Zucchini) Loaf
A cake made from courgettes? Oh yes! And it’s absolutely delicious!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 140 7%
Calories from Fat 58
Total Fat 6.5g 10%
Saturated Fat 1.0g 5%
Unsaturated Fat 5.4g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 19.2g 6%
Dietary Fibre 0.5g 2%
Protein 1.9g 3%
Cholesterol 16.4mgs 5%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 200-225 g (7-8 oz) courgette (zucchini)
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 200 g (7 oz) sugar
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 50 g (2 oz) chopped walnuts (optional)
- 50 g (2 oz) raisins (optional)
- Beat together the eggs, sugar and oil until smooth (about 2 minutes)
- Add in the vanilla essence. Sift in the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Mix well. The mixture will be quite stiff at this stage.
- Coarsely grate the courgette and add it to the mixture (along with any optional ingredients). Mix well.
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake at 170°C for about an hour. Check with a skewer to see if it is cooked.
- Leave to cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
The loaf freezes well