Savoury cheese scones make a wonderful light snack or supper and are so easy to make.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 222 11%
Calories from Fat 99
Total Fat 11.1g 17%
Saturated Fat 6.9g 34%
Unsaturated Fat 3.4g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 23.3g 7%
Dietary Fibre 0.8g 3%
Protein 7.4g 14%
Cholesterol 31.5mgs 10%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 225 g (8 oz) flour
- 125 g (4 oz) grated cheese
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) milk
- 50 g (2 oz) butter or margarine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and parika into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter or margarine to produce a very light mixture, almost like dry sand. Add in the cheese and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the mix, pour in the milk and stir briskly with a spoon. The dough should be light and sticky.
- Knead the dough lightly then place onto a floured surface.
- Pat the dough out to 1¼ cm (½”) thickness and use a 65 mm (2½”) cookie cutter to make rounds.
- Place the rounds on a well-greased baking tray. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with a little grated cheese. Bake in the oven at 220°C for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack before eating.
Light and brisk treatment of the dough is essential to produce a scone which which is light on the inside. It should take no more than 10 minutes to prepare the rounds!
Slice in half and spread each half with butter or margarine. My pesonal favourite is to put a slice of tomato onto each half!