Carrot cake with it’s compulsory frosting makes a truly delicious dessert. Don’t be fooled, the cake does not taste of carrots!
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 282 14%
Calories from Fat 143
Total Fat 15.9g 24%
Saturated Fat 4.5g 22%
Unsaturated Fat 10.3g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 32.9g 10%
Dietary Fibre 0.8g 3%
Protein 2.8g 5%
Cholesterol 37.3mgs 12%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 350 g (12 oz) finely grated carrot (about 3 large carrots)
- 300 g (11 oz) plain flour
- 300 g (11 oz) sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) sunflower or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup of crushed pinapple (optional)
- Crushed walnuts (optional)
- 250 g (8 oz) cream cheese
- 200 g (7 oz) powdered sugar
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt and mix together.
- Break the eggs into a clean bowl and whisk them until frothy.
- Slowly beat in the sugar. It should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Continue to beat the mixture while drizzling in the sunflower oil.
- Beat in the vanilla essence. Add the flour mixture and beat for about 1 minute to give a smooth mixture.
- Fold in the carrot and the pineapple using a spatula.
- Lightly grease a baking tray 22cm x 31cm (9″x11″) and pour in the mixture. Bake in an oven at 180°C for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and leave it cool completely.
- To make the frosting, gently beat together the butter and cream cheese. Slowly beat the powdered sugar into the mixture. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence and the orange zest.
- Place the cooled cake on a board and cover with frosting. Finsh with a sprinkling of crushed walnuts.
You can also add chopped nuts or raisins into the batter for interesting variations on this cake.