Caramel shortbread is a deliciously naughty little snack packed full of evil calories! Eat in moderation.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 267 13%
Calories from Fat 138
Total Fat 15.4g 23%
Saturated Fat 9.6g 48%
Unsaturated Fat 4.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 31.4g 10%
Dietary Fibre 0.7g 2%
Protein 2.8g 5%
Cholesterol 34.8mgs 11%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- For the shortbread
- 250 g (9 oz) plain flour
- 175 g (6 oz) butter or margarine
- 75 g (2½ oz) caster sugar (or ordinary sugar)
- For the caramel
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of condensed milk
- 150 g (5 oz) butter or margarine
- 150 g (5 oz) brown or white sugar
- For the chocolate topping
- 200 g (7 oz) milk or plain chocolate.
- Prepare the shortbread base by mixing the flour and sugar in a bowl, then rubbing in the butter to produce a smooth paste-like dough.
- Press the dough into an 8″x8″ (20cmx20cm) baking tin, or a Swiss Roll tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Prick the dough with a fork and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Prepare the caramel by melting the butter gently in a pan. Add the sugar and stir until a “sludge” is formed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently with constant stirring for 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the hot caramel onto the shortbread base, spread it out evenly then leave to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan or boiling water. Pour onto the caramel and spread evenly. Place in the ‘fridge to harden the chocolate then cut into squares.
Don’t be tempted to cut into large squares! This is quite rich and is probably where the name Millionaires’ Shortbread comes from.
A deep tin helps to keep the edges neat until you are ready to cut it, but is not essential. Store in an airtight box in a cool place.