Candied Citrus Peel
Candied Citrus Peel is a common ingredient in many cakes and sweet puddings. Maybe you are lucky enough to have a supermarket near you that stocks it, but if you haven’t… try this recipe!
Servings: per 100 g (3½ oz)
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 240 12%
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Unsaturated Fat 0.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 69.0g 23%
Dietary Fibre 6.0g 24%
Protein 0.0g 0%
Cholesterol 0.0mgs 0%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 450 g (1 lb) sugar
- Peel the fruit. No, really, how else are you going to do this!
- Place the peel in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Place the peel in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain. (Yes, you do have to boil it twice )
- Add 250 ml (8 fl oz) of water to a pan and add the sugar. Bring to the boil, add in the peel and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover and leave overnight.
- Return the mixture to a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and allow the peel to cool before cutting into small pieces.
Strain the final mixture while it is still quite warm and make sure the peel is cold before you cut it. It’s less of a sticky experience that way! The high sugar content of the peel means that you can store it for quite some time in an airtight container.