Boeuf à la Bourguignonne
Voici une recette halal pour le Boeuf à la Bourguignonne. Bon appetit! (In French with English subtitles… but you know me…)
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 861 43%
Calories from Fat 554
Total Fat 61.6g 94%
Saturated Fat 31.0g 155%
Unsaturated Fat 24.8g
Trans Fat 0.1g
Total Carbohydrate 22.5g 7%
Dietary Fibre 2.9g 11%
Protein 33.5g 67%
Cholesterol 186.3mgs 62%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 500 g (1 lb) stewing steak cut into chunks
- ½ litre (16 fl oz) of beef stock
- 100 g (3 oz) butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 bouquet garni
- 100 g (3 oz) halal sausage, chopped
- 150 g (5 oz) mushrooms, halved
- 150 g (5 oz) small onions
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter
For the marinade
- 1 celery stick
- 1 carrot
- 1 small onion
- 1 leek
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 black peppercorns
- ½ litre (16 fl oz) of alcohol-free red wine
- Prepare the marinade: Slice the vegetables and place in a large bowl with the garlic and the peppercorns. Add in the alcohol-free wine and the beef. Mix well and allow to marinate overnight in the ‘fridge.
- Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry with some kitchen paper. Place in a bowl and add the flour. Mix well.
- Strain the marinade and put the vegetables to one side. Boil the liquid for 5 minutes to reduce it’s volume.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the beef. Stir-fry for 5 minutes to brown the beef.
- Add the vegetables from the marinade and the tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the liquid from the marinade, the beef stock and the bouquet garni. Cover and simmer for at least 2 hours until the beef becomes really tender.
- Now we enter Phase 2: Melt the butter in a pan and add the sausage and the onions. Cook for 5-10 minutes until brown.
- Add in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add this mixture to the Bourguignonne for the final hour of cooking.
By marinating the meat overnight the cooking time should be around 2 hours, so add the mushroom/sausage/onion mixture into the large pan after about 1 hour cooking time. Serve with boiled potatoes or crusty bread.