Blackberry & Pear Crumble
This classic autumn dessert has an oatey and slightly spicy crumble topping.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 422 21%
Calories from Fat 136
Total Fat 15.2g 23%
Saturated Fat 7.1g 35%
Unsaturated Fat 6.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 68.5g 22%
Dietary Fibre 41.3g 165%
Protein 7.4g 14%
Cholesterol 26.9mgs 8%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 kg (2 lb) pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 500 g (1 lb) blackberries
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
For the crumble topping
- 150 g (5½ oz) plain flour
- 125 g (4½ oz) sugar
- 125 g (4½ oz) rolled oats
- 100 g (3½ oz) butter or margarine
- 50 g (2 oz) flaked almonds (optional)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- If the pears are firm or under-ripe, place the pears in a pan with 2 tsp of sugar and a tsp of water. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the pears have softened.
- To make the crumble topping, squidge together the flour and butter/margarine in a bowl.
- Add the sugar, oats, nutmeg and cloves and rub the mixture lightly between your hands. After a few minutes of rubbing the mixture should be light and free-flowing. Mix in the almonds if using.
- Put the pears, blackberries, sugar and nutmeg in a large casserole. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top and level it out with your fingers. Bake at 180°C for 30-35 minutes.
Serve warm with custard or ice-cream.