This classic Russian recipe is very quick and easy to prepare and makes a hearty meal.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 712 35%
Calories from Fat 486
Total Fat 54.1g 83%
Saturated Fat 28.6g 143%
Unsaturated Fat 19.1g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 11.6g 3%
Dietary Fibre 1.0g 4%
Protein 47.0g 94%
Cholesterol 223.8mgs 74%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 400 g (14 oz) good quality beef, NOT stewing steak!
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 200 g (7 oz) sour cream or creme fraiche
- 6 tbsp of beef stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1½ tbsp of plain flour
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Thinly slice the beef, then tenderise it with, for example, a rolling pin.
- Take the slices of tenderised beef and slice then into strips by cutting across the grain of the meat.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the beef, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Add the onion into the pan and fry gently for 5-10 minutes until the onions start to go brown.
- Whisk the flour into the beef stock and add it into the pan with the onions. Mix well.
- Add back the beef, stir, then add in the sour cream.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook on a very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir one more time before serving.
It is really important to use a good quality piece of meat for this dish otherwise you will be disappointed with the texture of the meat. Now matter how much you batter the meat, you can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear!
Serve with plain rice and a very light sprinkling of tarragon.