Apple Tart (Tarte aux Pommes)
Apple tart is a really simple dessert which is tasty and will give gasps from your family when you show it to them.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 262 13%
Calories from Fat 109
Total Fat 12.2g 18%
Saturated Fat 5.6g 27%
Unsaturated Fat 5.5g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 38.9g 12%
Dietary Fibre 3.5g 14%
Protein 1.3g 2%
Cholesterol 10.8mgs 3%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 900 g (2 lb) apples – Granny Smith are best for this tart
- 250 g (8 ox) shortcrust pastry
- 55 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- Core, peel and slice the apples into 16 wedges.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a pan. Add the apples, sugar, lemon juice and spices. Mix well and cook for about 10 minutes with frequent stirring. Leave to cool.
- Grease an 8″ (20 cm) flan dish and line with the pastry. Arrange the apple wedges in the flan case in an attractive pattern and dribble over the remaining juices.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for 30-35 minutes.
Cooking the apples before placing them in the flan case will avoid having a soggy base to the tart. The tart can be eaten warm or cold. Serve with cream or ice cream