Apple Crumble is a very simple and very tasty dessert which you can prepare in advance if you need to.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 328 16%
Calories from Fat 117
Total Fat 13.1g 20%
Saturated Fat 8.1g 40%
Unsaturated Fat 3.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 51.9g 17%
Dietary Fibre 3.8g 15%
Protein 3.1g 6%
Cholesterol 33.6mgs 11%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 kg (2 lb) apples
- 100 g (3 oz) plain flour
- 100 g (3 oz) wholemeal flour
- 125 g (4 oz) brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 125 g (4 oz) butter
- Core, peel and slice the apples.
- Place the apples in a large pan with 1 tbsp water. Add 2 tbsp of the sugar and one-quarter of the butter. Place on a low heat and cook for 10 minutes. The apples should lose their crispness by this stage. Remove from the heat and put aside.
- Sieve together the flours and the cinnamon into a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and mix it into the flour by hand until the mixture takes the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add in the sugar and mix well. You have now made the crumble topping!
- Place the apple mixture in a casserole dish and sprinkle on the crumble topping. Spread evenly.
- Cook in an oven at 180°C for about 35 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
Keep the crumble mix light on the top of the apples – don’t be tempted to press it down or the topping will become like a biscuit.
If you need to prepare this in advance you can stop after stage 4. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.