African Sweet Potato Stew
This is a very tasty, simple and nutritious dish featuring the humble sweet potato.
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 381 19%
Calories from Fat 81
Total Fat 9.1g 13%
Saturated Fat 1.7g 8%
Unsaturated Fat 6.4g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 66.4g 22%
Dietary Fibre 14.1g 56%
Protein 12.1g 24%
Cholesterol 0.2mgs 0%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 800 g (2 lb) sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 450 g (1 lb) tomatoes, chopped
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of red beans, or chickpeas, or lentils, or black beans, or…
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), deseeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 2½ cm (1″) ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillis, sliced (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ salt
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 1 vegetable stockcube
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and garlic gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peanut butter, salt, pepper, spices, ginger and red beans to the pan. Add 500 ml (2 cups) of water and crumble in the stock cube. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Add the capsicum and chilles. Simmer uncovered for a further 5 minutes before serving.
This delicious stew can be served with chunks of bread. It freezes well and can even be cooked in a slow cooker.